I bet you guys thought that I’ve abandoned this place, right? Whoops, my bad.
Can you believe that it’s the end of 2012 already? After a crappy year in 2010, an excellent year in 2011, 2012 has been beautifully mundane. Tonight we’re welcoming in 2013 with Rekorderlig, a homemade Mexicana feast, movies and local fireworks. And 2013? It’s going to be all kinds of BRILLIANT. I was just saying to Shae that it feels like we’re on the verge of something great. NYE does this to us all every year, but this year is way different. Do you feel it too?
In the last few weeks Dan and I have made some plans that has changed our outlook on virtually everything for the new year. I feel like a massive weight has been lifted off my heart, shoulders and soul and I feel like a little kid in a lolly shop. Everything out here is so bright and shiney and I’m grinning like an idiot. To celebrate, we’ve booked a getaway for the Easter weekend with a couple of old friends and I cannot, CANNOT wait. When I’m not finding myself a new bikini, I’ll be booking myself into some wellbeing courses that I’ve got my eye on so that I can focus on ME.
It’s gonna be great, y’all!
Thanks you guys for reading this funny ol place, even when I’ve seemingly leglected it. Hope you’re all on the verge of something amazing in 2013.
- What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Flew in a plane with Dan, gave Dan driving lessons, lusted after a Macbook (only for a little while, pinky swear). Visited Tasmania, drank alcoholic hot chocolate. Attended my first PR event as Smarter Admins. And I ate olives!
- Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
2012 was my year for stressing less, which I did (most of the time). My unofficial resolution was to send birthday cards for every birthday in my calendar. I would say I was ~70% successful
- Did anyone close to you give birth?
Just the usual smatterings of workmates and extended friends
- Did anyone close to you die?
- What countries/states did you visit?
Tasmania to visit Jarod and Liz, Melbourne for Problogger
- What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
A life worthy of beautiful photographs
- What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
In all honesty, no specific dates will stick, just periods of time throughout the year for varying reasons
- What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Work. I changed jobs within the same department and it took me right out of my comfort zone. I managed to survive, mostly unscathed!
- What was your biggest failure?
Jealousy. And being rejected for blood donation because of low iron levels
- Did you suffer illness or injury?
I got too many colds this year and a bit of whiplash after (yet another) car accident
- What was the best thing you bought?
A hot red Mazda 3 and a ticket to #probloggerevent in Melbourne
- Whose behaviour merited celebration?
The US citizens who voted for President Handsome :) And on a local level, my neighbours who voted to ban smoking in our entire block. No mean feat!
- Whose behaviour was appalling?
The NRA and their ilk for their reaction after the Newtown shooting. Australian politicians and their treatment of asylum seekers
- Where did most of your money go?
The bloody bloody mortgage! And so begins the next 30 years of my life, huh?
- What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Going to Tasmania for the first time, to visit Jarod and Liz. And seeing Human Nature in concert earlier this month. And having so many family and friends on the blogging bandwagon with me. I feel validated :)
- What song will always remind you of 2012?
This one’s a draw between the Will.I.Am/Sesame Street number and Mikhael Paskalev’s underpant dancing song
- Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? happier
b) thinner or fatter? fatter
c) richer or poorer? poorer in $, richer my sense of self-worth
- What do you wish you’d done more of?
Go on holidays. Put effort into Smarter Admins
- What do you wish you’d done less of?
Avoid difficult decisions
- How did you spend Christmas?
Lunch with maternal in-laws, evening cocktails with paternal in-laws
- What was your favourite TV program?
How I Met Your Mother. Surpassing every other TV show to become my all-time favourite
- Did you make a friend with anyone that you didn’t know this time last year?
Not exactly new, but I’ve strengthened some friendships, expecially when sharing hotel rooms this year :)
- What was the best book you read?
I’ve done more business reading than anything this year and one book that really helped me was the Problogger book by Darren Rowse
- What was your greatest musical discovery?
Dan introduced me to Fun. when we started using Spotify. Do you use Spotify? It’s fuggen great
- What did you want and get?
A safer car
- What did you want and not get?
Galaxy Note II. Hard to justify upgrading when my current phone is still working
- What was your favourite film of this year?
I really liked 50/50 with the kid from 3rd Rock from the Sun
- What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
My 34th was the usual love from family and friends. It’s a birthday I’ll remember moreso for the way I reacted to a potentially horrid situation. It saved me a tonne of grief and meant that I was able to really enjoy my birthday for the first time in years.
- What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Meeting Barack Obama :)
- How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
- What kept you sane?
My husband :)
- Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
President Handsome, Neil Patrick Harris and Jason Segel :)
- What political issue stirred you the most?
The NRA gun thing. It’s just revolting
- Who did you miss?
Jarod and Liz. Liz and Jarod
- Who was the best new person you met?
- Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012
I am loved :)
- Quote a song lyric that sums up your year
If what I am is what’s in me, then I’ll stay strong, that’s who I’ll be
And I will always be the best me that I can be
– Will. I. Am. and Sesame Street residents