Is it this of year again already? Farking hell.
<settles in with a can of coke and a couple of Merryteasers>
Happy New Year to you and everyone around you. Be safe xbi
- What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before?
I successfully grew carrots, lettuce and tomatoes on our balcony! Far easier than bloody herbs.
- Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?I only realised when I re-read my 2013 post that I didn’t technically make any resolutions, which is totes fine by me. I had to come up with a 2015 resolution to be published at work, which is “to ride the roller coaster at Luna Park in my lunch break at least once a month”. Stay tuned.
- Did anyone close to you give birth?
No new babehs this year!
- Did anyone close to you die?
A family member had a miscarriage earlier this year, which was awful :(
- What countries/states did you visit?
Had a week in Fiji on the Coral Coast and a long weekend on the Gold Coast for #pbevent14 :)
- What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
- What dates from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Friday 9 May 2014. The day I got offered an amazing job and resigned from the job that I’d had for ten years. The morning beforehand, I was minding my own beeswax and not even thinking about leaving ye olde job. But when amazing opportunities fall into your lap, you just gotta SAY YES.
Hands-down the best (work-based) decision ever made.
- What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting medicated. I’m not one to tell all and sundry, but I happily and willingly tell people when I feel it’s benefitting the conversation. After living my entire life thinking that anti-depressants were for Other People, I finally confided in my G.P. (all hail Dr Joe!) that I needed them and it has been The Best Thing I’ve done for myself… ever. Totes legit. I could not have done the things I’ve done this year without them. I’m so so lucky that I haven’t needed to tweak the dosage at all, I just need to remember to take them every day :)
- Did you suffer illness or injury?
I got tendonitis that was SO painful, I can’t even begin. And it was courtesy of shoes that I thought were appropriate for catching public transport to my new job. Turns out, Nikes are shit for that. Had to throw out 3 pairs of shoes that I’d bought especially.
- What was the best thing you bought?
Boxes (and boxes) of Merryteasers. Online, because shops couldn’t keep up with demand.
- Whose behaviour merited celebration?
This year it has to go to Liz, the cat lady who has shown me amazing trust and patience this year. She’s gone from being my friend to being my freelance manager to my referee and now my co-worker. It’s been tough at times and Liz has wanted to throttle me multiple times, but I couldn’t have had this year without her. I owe her many MANY cookies.
- Whose behaviour was appalling?
Tony Abbott, I can’t even look at you right now.
- Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage and Opal card tap-offs
- What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Getting a Galaxy Note 4 and returning to the world of phablets <3
- What song will always remind you of 2013?
Uptown Funk by Bruno Mars/Mark Ronson. Funk yeah!! \m/
- What do you wish you’d done more of?
- What do you wish you’d done less of?
Waking up earlier
- How did you spend Christmas?
This year was my family’s turn and we caught up in the Blue Mountains for a Very Long Lunch at the Hydro Majestic. On the day itself though, Dan and I desperately wanted a quiet day, so we had an introvert’s Christmas with tonnes of food and naps on the couch. I seriously had 3 naps on Christmas day, it was amazing.
- What was your favourite TV program?
My fave new show of the year is @Midnight, internet game show nerd funtimes :) This year was the last of How I Met Your Mother though, and I sobbed like a baby.
- What was the best book you read?
I re-read Sheryl Sandberg’s Lean In this year. She’s still amazing.
- What was your greatest musical discovery?
Nothing specific, but I’ve become a Triple J listener. Never thought that would happen, but regular exposure to it at work has turned me.
- What did you want and get?
An amazing job that I’m proud of
- What did you want and not get?
Moar kittens. Maybe next year?
- What was your favourite film of this year?
Guardians of the Galaxy was so. much. fun.
- What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I got to celebrate 36 perfectly – lunch with Leigh, dinner at Blacktown Drive-In and a few days later, I was taking simulated flying lesson and then a week’s holiday in Fiji.
Not bad, right?
- What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Meeting Barack Obama when he was in Brisbane for the G20
- How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?
More focused on shoes
- What kept you sane?
- Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Bruno Mars, mostly in the video clip for Uptown Funk. You had me at pastel pink jackets and gold-plated hair rollers
- What political issue stirred you the most?
Anything to do with Tony Abbott. Ugh.
- Who did you miss?
The friends and family I haven’t been very good at keeping in touch with this year. I’ve focused so much on work and my social life was the biggest loss as a result.
- Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014
That it’s okay to put in effort and not succeed. Biiiig (and scary) lesson.
- Quote a song lyric that sums up your year
You don’t have to fall in line
Life is such a crazy fight
– – –
Put the rules back on the shelf
Let your freak out, be yourself
– – –
Get up and dance like you dance when there’s no one around
Sing a song the way you sing when you’re in the shower
Lose yourself, let your soul redefine a new kind of cool
– – –
Don’t be careful, don’t think twice
Just let your heart speak its mind
One foot forward make your move
No one does it quite like you!
– Live Louder, Nathaniel