I’ve shamelessly stolen these questions from Fifikins. I’ve been thinking about a 2008 wrap-up for a few weeks, so figured this is a good way to farewell the year that was:
1. What did you do in 2008 that you\’d never done before?
Really started looking after my health. Regular GP appointments, heaps of dental work, (some) weightloss, podiatrist appointments…
2. Did you keep your new year\’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I’ve given up on making resolutions, I just want to be happy EVERY YEAR
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Julie had Angus, Nat had Ali, Anita had Luca and Roulla had Zachary!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not this year, thankfully
5. What countries/states did you visit?
England, Scotland, Paris… AND THE AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY!
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
5/6 January – Weekend of awesomeness with my Welsh/English/Swedish girls
July – The before/during/after of World Youth Day 2008 and His Popiness’ visit
22 October – Stevie Wonder at Acer Arena
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Proving to myself that I don’t have to let being an ACOA determine who I am
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not fighting hard enough to keep a long distance friendship…
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing overly traumatic
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Sheridan’s Light and Crisp bedsheets. Seriously divine. And 40% off!
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Dan’s. How that man stays sane while living with me is completely beyond me
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
The same people who have earned the same award for the last year or so; best I don’t name them. Extra points to Miguel for really showing me what he thinks of loyalty.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Paying off my car loan and my holiday loan
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Apart from everything to do with my holiday in January, the Stevie Wonder concert that exceeded my expectations as best concert ever
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Unsurprisingly, Stevie Wonder’s Superstition
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:?
a) happier or sadder?
Happier – more contented with myself
b) thinner or fatter?
Thinner by about 10kg
c) richer or poorer?
Financially about the same, but richer in all other areas
18. What do you wish you\’d done more of?
Accepting situations for what they are and just get over it already
19. What do you wish you\’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Hosted it at our place for the first time. I think it was a challenge for everyone involved!
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Totally. It’s been a long time coming
22. How many one-night stands?
Only with Cadbury-branded chocolate
23. What was your favourite TV program?
30 Rock without a shadow of a doubt
24. Did you make a friend with anyone that you didn\’t know this time last year?
25. What was the best book you read?
Bill Bryson’s Down Under, which I read a gazillion times. Bill = comfort reading
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Ben Folds, the former honorary Aussie
27. What did you want and get?
28. What did you want and not get?
29. What was your favourite film of this year?
Lars and the Real Doll. Amazing movie that you must see before you die.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
On my actual 30th birthday we shopped at Victoria’s Basement and The Essential Ingredient. Full of awesome!
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Paying off more debt
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
One word: Threadless.
33. What kept you sane?
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
The US presidential election; Hilary being a coniving cow, McCain being… well, a Republican, and Obama making me want to be an American so I could vote for him.
36. Who did you miss?
Friends who live too far awayâ€¦
37. Who was the best new person you met?
Best? Couldn’t narrow it down
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Just let things happen around you and don’t get worked up over mindless shite
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I’ve been crazy
I’ve been holdin’ myself back for so long
But I’ve got so much I can give
Don’t wanna be afraid to be wrong
You know I’m not too good at too many things
But I’ve been gettin real good at gettin’ down on myself
But guess what
I’m gonna try to break free from this prison I’ve built
I’m gonna give myself permission to shine
I’m gonna shine so bright
Gonna make every head wanna turn
You’re finally gonna see me
Give myself permission to shine
Gonna light up the night
Shine a little of my light on the world
Bachelor Girl – Permission to Shine