I’ve had a can of condensed milk in my cupboard for about 2 years, waiting to make this particular Lemon Meringue Pie recipe.
But I think it had gone off by the time I got around to making it on the weekend, so I had to go out and buy another can of condensed milk.
This is my Aunty Carmella’s recipe, and I think I have to make this a few more times to break the 30-minute limit. I took about 50 minutes to get this baby in the oven…
Aunty Carmella’s 30-minute Lemon Meringue Pie (serves 8)
- In a medium bowl, combine 180g plain crushed biscuits (I used Arnott’s Milk Coffee) and 90g melted unsalted butter
- Press into 23cm pie dish and chill
- In another medium bowl, add 410g can skim condensed milk, ½ cup fresh lemon juice, rind of one lemon and 3 lightly-beaten egg yolks (save the whites!). Beat until combined
- Spoon evenly into the chilled crumb crust and set aside
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, gradually adding ½ cup castor sugar
- Spoon or pipe the meringue on top of the filling
- Bake in a moderate (180 °c/350 °f) oven for 15 minutes or until golden
postscript: my (lovely, new Maxwell and Williams) pie dish is actually 28cm, so I plan to increase the crust and meringue to suit. And maybe more lemon so I have enough to lick from the bowl when I should be washing up.
Mmm, crummy buttery goodness!
See, if I’d made a bigger batch for my bigger dish, then the crumbs would have gone all the way up the sides
Lemons smell SO DIVINE when grated, don’t you agree?
Waiting patiently for the meringue to be made
My Kenwood Chef makes the best meringue. I honestly weep with happiness every time. Please don’t laugh at me!