I hate Christmas beetles. And there was one on my desk when I got to work yesterday. That was when I knew I was going to have a Bad Day.

I was already feeling the onset of the head cold that Dan has lovingly shared with me and ended up leaving work after lunch with the explicit plan to go straight to bed and sleeeeeeep.

Then on the way home, an idiot in his bomb of a 1996 Ford Falcon on his green Ps ran into me. It happened in slow-mo and I was making eye contact with him – giving him my best “wtf don’t you understand road rules ffs” face – when he ran into my side of the car.

It was only because I felt sick that I didn’t drop every insult imaginable on his lazy, arrogant arse. He was only worried about the accident when he saw that his bumper was falling off. He freely handed over his details, didn’t bother asking for mine and admitted that he’d be the one paying the excess. It was as if it’s something he does on a regular basis.


The car was drivable and I wasn’t hurt, but I pulled over and rang NRMA straight away so I could get the detail out before my brain lost it. They were very lovely and booked Talyn in for an inspection the following morning.

Until I got home and realised that I couldn’t lock the car. Turns out the doors were more damaged than I thought. So NRMA suggested I go to their assessment centre there and then so I don’t breech my insurance.

So I drove there. It’s pretty much back where the accident originally happened.

All I wanted to do was go home and sleep.

The assessment centre staff were very kind and looked at Talyn straight away and determined that 2 new doors are needed. They said “see you in two weeks” and put me in a taxi with a cabcharge so I could finally go home and sleep.

Except by then the shock/anger/realisation that life without a car for 2 weeks is really going to suck had kicked in and I was too worked up to sleep.

It took a few hours for me to finally settle down.

Then we realised we had no hot water. Likely caused by our new neighbours who have finally started renovating. Except they’d already left for the day. And they didn’t return our calls.

And then a Giant Cockroach appeared and was flying around the house.

What a sh*t of a day (although, #firstworldproblems, I’m willing to admit. I’m selfish, but not that selfish).

I still blame that Christmas beetle. Everything went downhill from there.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

4 thoughts on “It all started with a Christmas beetle

  1. Shitty day :(

    Hope you’re feeling better

    Posted on 10 November 2011 at 6:16 pm
  2. My favourite horrible part of your day was the part about the cockroach.

    Seriously though, rest up over your long weekend!!

    Posted on 10 November 2011 at 6:42 pm
  3. Flying cockroach? ARE you sure it was flying or were you hallucinating by then?

    Posted on 12 November 2011 at 11:40 am
  4. Dude, that sucks! (I’ve just asked what happend in your email, now I know!)

    I feel that you’re or his insurance should pay for a replacement rental car, I’d ask NRMA about this.

    Lack of cockroaches vs overabundance of ‘roaches is on my top 10 reasons why Melbourne is better than Sydney!

    Things’ll get better!

    Posted on 13 November 2011 at 8:28 am